Raw Almond Butter Date Bars (And Other Healthy Travel Snacks)
It's comforting to have something from home along for the ride while you're traveling. At home, I try to prepare most of the food I eat because I love the entire process — from grocery shopping to spending time in the kitchen listening to some good tunes and hopefully enjoying my final creation with a good friend or my family. So I like when I can translate this comforting ritual to my travels.
As I prepare to head out for a week-long trip to Europe, I'm excited to prepare and take with me, some of my own wholesome snacks, a little piece of home. Below are two of my favorite go-to recipes and a list of other ideas for other healthy snacks that'll go the distance with you on your next adventure.
Raw Coconut & Date Bars
- 1 cup raw almond or walnuts
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 C raw cacao powder
- 1/4 C coconut flakes
- 3/4 C pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 C almond butter
- 1-2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- Blend all ingredients (except pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes) in a food processor. Take some pauses throughout the process to scrap down the sides.
- Once mixture is blended, scrap into a bowl and fold in pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes.
- Portion out raw batter into muffin cups and keep in fridge for 2-3 weeks. Or, smooth mixture into 8x11 baking dish and allow to set in fridge for 10-15 minutes and then cut into squares. I typically store my bars in the fridge for a few weeks but if you're traveling, keep the cut squares in plastic baggies or small containers. Enjoy!
Other Healthy Snacks that Travel Well
- Bananas, Plums, Dates
- Dried, unsweetened fruits: apricots, tart cherries, cranberries
- Goji berries
- Pre-cut veggies like carrots, peppers, and celery can last for several hours
- Good-quality protein powder (great for on the go; simply mix with water)
- Tea bags (mix with hot water)
- Water bottle (Stay hydrated!)
- Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds)
- Go Raw products are good options too when you are short on time to make your own snacks
Homemade Trail Mix
- Mix together your favorite raw nuts with dried, unsweetened fruits (see ideas in list above) and other good-for-you ingredients like unsweetened coconut flakes and dark chocolate nibs.
- The variety I recently made for my Europe trip (shown in baggies) includes sprouted almonds, raw cacao nibs, goji berries, and unsweetened coconut flakes.