My Favorite Afternoon Pick-Me-Up
Boosting with a long list of natural benefits, switchel gives you a healthy afternoon "buzz" without the crash later. And best yet, it only requires a few ingredients you likely have on hand — apple cider vinegar, lemons or limes, raw honey or maple syrup and ginger. If not, they are all worthy investments — and staples in my kitchen. (Try places like Amazon or Thrive Market for a great deal on your ACV and honey.)
In just a few minutes, you'll have a refreshing treat to power you through the afternoon for the days and weeks to come!
Simple Switchel Recipe (makes about 14 servings)
- 1/2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 C raw honey
- 2 T fresh ginger pulp
- Juice of 1 lemon (you could try lime too)
- Funnel all ingredients into a large empty glass jar (mason jar or empty Braggs jar works great too) in this order: ACV, raw honey, ginger and lemon juice. Shake well and pour 1 oz. (shot glass worth) into a glass and fill with 8-12 ounces of water or seltzer. Coconut or Lemon La Croix are my favorite pairings with this mixture.
Mix ins to experiment with: sprig of rosemary (my favorite), cinnamon, cayenne, or turmeric
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Rich in enzymes & potassium
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Helps control weight
- Promotes digestion & ph Balance
- Helps remove body toxins
- Natural energy source
- Natural allergy relief
- Raises antioxidant levels
Tip: When purchasing your honey, choose local to reap the most health benefits. I have friends that love the taste of maple syrup, a great swap for raw honey in this recipe if you prefer that flavor! Both are delicious and healthy options.
- Great source of vitamin C & potassium
- Aids in digestion and detoxification
- Contain pectin, which helps you feel fuller, longer
- Try swapping in lime juice sometime to change up the flavor!
- Improves gut health but aiding digestion
- Enhances immune function