Healthy Hot Cocoa with Turmeric (Dairy-Free)
This creamy dairy-free version of hot cocoa is the perfect healthy treat when you're craving something sweet at night.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 C almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 t cinnamon
- 2 t cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 1 t golden milk powder (I like Gaia Herbs)
- pinch of sea salt (I like pink Himalayan)
Heat the almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat or microwave for 60-90 seconds. Once heated, stir in remaining ingredients and enjoy warm!
The health benefits to this hot cocoa are two-fold:
- This recipe is very low in sugar so you won't spike your blood sugar before bed, which is one of the worst things you can do if you're trying to maintain or lose weight. Foods high in sugar don't process and digest well late at night so your body often stores them as fat.
- The second perk to this late night treat is the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric, the spice that gives mustard its yellow color. The golden milk mixture used in this recipe contains this healing spice as well as other nourishing ingredients: traditional Ayurvedic herbs like black pepper, cardamom, vanilla and ashwagandha. You can read all about the amazing benefits of ashwagandha here.